Quotes

"It is not in the stars that hold our destiny but in ourselves."

Monday, February 17, 2014

The KY Jelly Incident

The other day at the hospital, I had to do a rectal examination on a patient. Oh, and that has a story of its own. A disturbing one. Anyways, I needed the KY Jelly but I could not find it at its usual place. So I went around searching for it. I asked some doctors and nurses and they kept pointing me to places in which there was no KY Jelly to be found. I was sort of annoyed of course. I mean, it is a hospital. Shouldn't things be at it's rightful place like 24/7? Okay anyways, this post is not about KY Jelly. haha

So well at one point, I asked a nurse and she pointed at me to go to this main drawer. So I went and there was another nurse there who rudely asked 'Doctor apa u nak?'. I said 'KY jelly'. And she goes on yelling ''U tak yah cari kat sini. U tak tau ke ni bukan untuk u sentuh? Pergi cari kat tempat lain pergehh'. LOL I had to type it as it is so to show the rudeness of it. Yeah just imagined her screaming that.

From my experience at HSAH, I realised there's this hierarchy which of course puts us medical students waayy below. And I totally get that. We all should start from down and work our way up anyways. But there's this 'treatment' going on, where those at the higher hierarchy believes that the power they own enables them to treat everyone below them however they want. The rudeness, the insults, the verbal abuses. And what's even more surprising, is that it's socially accepted. It is fine when someone yells at someone else rudely, especially during situations that are totally uncalled for. It is fine when someone verbally abuses someone else.

But does that not speak more of your character, someone who is of great power, than it is of mine, someone who screws up? When you have a choice to talk politely, to address issues professionally, to correct mistakes without the need for the use of verbal abuses, but instead you pick to do the latter because it makes you feel powerful...what does that say of you?



No comments:

Post a Comment