Quotes

"It is not in the stars that hold our destiny but in ourselves."

Friday, June 17, 2011

Durians ; to eat or not to eat?

I love all fruits.
I may dislike some vegetables, I don't like fish (except if they're cooked Chinese styled) but fruits, I love ALL fruits.
It's like, I can eat fruits foreverrrrr.. :)

I'd go to the grocery and head over to the fruits section. Just stand there and take in their sweet smell. I've done that many times, with my eyes closed. Only to open them to find people starring at me strangely. My mum then said I can star in my own comedy show since I'm so weird.

Anyways, was eating durians a few days ago when I thought to myself, that I love durians. I love the taste and I especially love the smell. :) But then, I remembered that many don't like the fruit because of the smell, that it smells bad. I couldn't understand why. How can one not like durians when they smell so sweet?

I then spent the next few minutes concentrating on DISLIKING the smell. I wanted to see from their point of view, to see how can Durians turn them away. I stared and I smelled.. *yes weird* but after a few minutes (maybe seconds lah..don't tell me I was staring at them so long ==), nothing came to me. I still think durians smelled nice.

But then, later that evening when I came back from the park, I walked into the house and the house smelled bad. I didn't like the smell, and I was trying to figure out what was that smell when I realise, I was smelling the durians! ..

I got so excited. Like, I forced myself to see durians from another point of view, and it worked! ..It just hit me in the face, without myself trying, and for a few minutes I thought durian smelled bad. After hanging out for a while in my house though, the feeling disappeared and my house was sweet-smelling again.

Now when I eat durians, I keep snapping back and forth. For the first few seconds I think it smells great, but then all of a sudden, I'll smell something else.

The point is..I could look at one thing, and see both sides to it. I could see why some like durians while others hate it. And I understand.
Sometimes we can't see why certain people behaves that way or reacts to a certain situation the way they do because we don't see the point of it. We don't see the reason as to what they decide upon. We just stick to our own beliefs and reasoning because it's already been made up in your head.

Like when I love durians.

Even when others explain it to you, or reason it out, you just don't see it and you may dismiss their opinions as ''they're wrong''.

Like when others told me they dislike the fruit.

It's only when you step into their shoes and see from their point of view, you can actually understand their point all along. And maybe, who knows, find out you're wrong.

I forced myself to see the fruit from another's perspective and with willpower, I did. And now I understand.
I hope everyone has that willpower.
Not just for durians, no :P But ..well, for everything.

Since young, my grandpa has always been reminding me ..

''Seek first to understand, then to be understood''.
That is why God gave us two ears and one mouth. ;)


My relationship with durians are now somewhat rather confusing =='' haha.

(yes, I'm that bored at home :P)

No comments:

Post a Comment